knee-deep in higher learning

Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Muddy Kitchen: Fried Fruit Kebabs by Henry

I decided one night to make fried fruit and vegetable kebabs. I got together some apples, kiwis, pears, bananas, mushrooms, and cucumbers. I didn't know exactly what I was doing, but I coated a few apple wedges in butter and put them on the grill. This didn't work as well as I hoped, so we had pasta for dinner that night.

Henry's mom interjects: While Henry's dad made the pasta, I ate the pieces of grilled apple and thought, "Henry is on to something. We need to try again. So I told him not to give up on his dream of fried fruit."
Later that night, my mom came up to me and gave me the idea of deep-fried fruit. We decided to try it on Saturday. I cut up the rest of the fruit and mixed up this batter. I started with a few fruits for a test. It comes in a great variety of kiwi, banana, apple, and pear. When you eat the fried apple, it tastes just like a little apple pie in your mouth. The banana, when deep-fried, has a creamy texture. The pear has a gentle flavor, and the kiwi leaves a tangy taste in your mouth.


I started with the apples.

I stuck one on a skewer and slopped it around in the batter, until it was fully coated. I submerged it in the hot oil and waited for about 4 minutes. After they were done, I rolled them in the cinnamon sugar (plus a pinch of salt). I took a bite, it was delicious! Next I tried the bananas. I used the same method and gave it to my mom. She loved it! Then I went for the pear. It was very good. The kiwi almost got nixed, because I thought it would end up tasting very bad. But my mom said "You don't know how it'll turn out, so you should try." It ended up tasting very good! We did a few more fruits, so we all got to taste some.

After I fried up the rest of the fruit, I put them on these kebabs. After that, I put them on a plate, added some popcorn and we all sat down to watch a movie. We also made plans to build our empire, selling fried fruit.

3 comments:

  1. The picture with the kabobs makes it look like you have a bit of a crazy beehive tuft of hair. :)
    -Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great, good job!

    Grand Pa Lanham

    ReplyDelete