knee-deep in higher learning

Thursday, June 4, 2020

Last Day of School (from a distance)

Today was our last fourth grade Zoom class meeting, so we were asked to choose and share three words with our friends, as the year ends. When it was my turn...

Hi kids, these are my three words.


Now, this sounds great, right? But maybe a little generic? And what if you change the world by going out and kicking a puppy? Maybe it's not always such great advice.

But I didn't choose these three words as advice. They're more of a reminder, something you should know.

I want you to know your power.
I want you to know that you always have, already do, and always will


Here's a math problem:

See, I get into this sometimes when thinking about how I want to


I think, but! I want to



and make it all like I want it to be!

But I can't do that.

None of us gets to do that.

Back to the math problem.


Even though adding a dinky little 1 does not drastically alter the 1,000,000, there is no denying it. 1,000,000 and 1,000,001 are different. The 1,000,000 is no more, when it becomes 1,000,001.

It is changed.

Just like every little one of you, and every single thing you do. When you pick up your little brother to watch this Zoom class, and make him feel loved and smart, you



When I slam a door, because I feel frustrated. And it makes people in my house feel stressed out, I, unfortunately


When we all show up for each other every day and do our best, through these strange and challenging times, we


So, don't forget the power you hold. As soon as you know you have it, you can start thinking about how you already use it.

And how you want to use it, in the future.

Keep reading and have a great summer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment